+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HID/Lighting Laws

WhiteSpy9

Default HID/Lighting Laws

I'm assuming there are laws as to how bright/what color your low/high bulbs can be.

Anyone here know what those laws are?

DrWebster

I can't quote any laws, but my understanding with HID's is that they're only really legal if they came from the factory, because of leveling and focusing issues. If you go with an aftermarket kit, you're best to use it with projector headlamps (like all 3's have), as this will make sure the light beam doesn't blind other drivers (provided the lamps are aimed properly). Without projectors, the beam becomes too wide and the glare can affect other drivers' vision.

WhiteSpy9

Thanks Colin.

I'm looking to do 3k low beams. I guess I'll just have to find out if they attraction "too" much attention.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Chats

As long as you stay towards the lower temp range (more yellow/white) you shouldn't have a problem. It's when you start getting the crazy ricer 12000K purplish bulbs that you're going to attract attention. Around 4500K is the optimal temp for visible light output anyways.
    2003.5 Laser Blue MSP #2543 (Modded Tastelessly and Carelessly)
    2009 SX4 Crossover (The Cold Weather Piggy)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    I think the test to this would be to see if Tom's huge luv sac would fit in side it, I'd be stoked if it did

WhiteSpy9

Nice. from what I read 3k puts out some night lighting during bad weather. We sure get enough of that around here. Wind+Rain/Snow.

If anyone sees a group buy going on else where for some HIDs please send me a PM.

DrWebster

Yeah, really as long as you're installing them in your MS3 and don't go with blue/purple, you won't have any trouble. Aftermarket HIDs look great in the 3's headlights, because they have projectors. I may do an HID kit when my current bulbs die.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Chats

Is this relevant to your interests? http://www.mnmazda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40597
    2003.5 Laser Blue MSP #2543 (Modded Tastelessly and Carelessly)
    2009 SX4 Crossover (The Cold Weather Piggy)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    I think the test to this would be to see if Tom's huge luv sac would fit in side it, I'd be stoked if it did

My Mood
    Lurking
    Chats

3000K is pretty yellow for headlights IMO.

The factory temp for Mazda3 HIDs is 4300K I think, which is about as white as it gets.
    Last edited by YSOSLO; 10-13-2008 at 01:12 PM.

You should do 4-5000k for low beams and the 3000k for the fog lights.

And here's another groupbuy for you: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=116444.0

I had the DDM kit (not anymore, 6000k = too blue for me) and I would order them again.

WhiteSpy9

I want 3k. Need to see a few more set ups, but I think it will light up the road just fine. (I hope I find out if I'm wrong before I install them.)

Thanks for the link guys, I thought that GB was only for the MSP lights.

Anyone who finds pics of 3k low beams, please post up.
    Last edited by WhiteSpy9; 10-13-2008 at 08:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread