1. singcha

singcha New Member

Alright guys so my check engine light has been on since i purchased the ms3 and today i checked the codes and got p0012 p2178 p2188 and im guessing these are giving me a misfire also because p0300 is also on. At this point im up for any suggestions so fire away and thanks for replies!!!

2. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

Well p0012 is a timing issue. Check that. And iirc 2178 and 2188 are system too lean or rich. Has the engine been rebuild or anything? How many miles?

3. singcha

singcha New Member

Honestly I have no clue what's been done to the motor...motor has 89000. Check timing how??

4. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Ms3's have a known problem with the timing tensioner. It was a TSB for all of the first gen cars. Does it have a bit of valve clatter on start up? Mine did, and I got the TSB done. Only problem is- it expires at 70k. I also had a random misfire as well- that can be any number of things. I'd start with tracking the cars history and see if the TSB was ever done, and go from there.

5. singcha

singcha New Member

How can I track these things?

6. singcha

singcha New Member

And it has no kind of engine noise....FREAKIN ELECTRONICS!!!!

7. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Easiest way to track it is call the dealers and see if the car's ever been there for service. If the car's never left the state, there's only like 3 places it coulda been serviced.

8. singcha

singcha New Member

Thanks Broski

9. CalvinHorton

CalvinHorton New Member

Were you able to sort it out?I am really bad with these codes problem so what is the right way to solve it? Waiting for reply.. Thanks in advance:)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  10. singcha

singcha New Member

i havent been able to sort it out cause ive been busy with work, but i will be looking into it soon. I will let you know about any updates

11. singcha

singcha New Member

Apparently the car was checked in white bear lake Mazda, guy said the piston was touching valve. I don't know how I feel about this situation anymore

12. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Piston was touching the valve? Sounds to me like a timing issue- I know the timing tensioners tend to go bad, there was a TSB on em- my car made the same noise.