ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Performance Tech & Modifications' started by OCS, Apr 7, 2013.

1. OCS

OCS New Member

I've got some headers that i want to have ceramic coated. Anybody know of a good place to have that done?
    Preferably in southern MN. South metro, Rochester, mankato, or anyplace in between.
    Thanks in advance!

2. OCS

OCS New Member

Tough crowd...
    Ttt

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

4. OCS

OCS New Member

Thanks!
    I guess I could've googled it myself. I wasn't sure if you guys had some "Must go" place.

5. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that does it... never something i've investigated. Perhaps I should.

6. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

I don't think anyone on here makes enough power to warrant needing ceramic coating :)

Looks cool though.

7. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

You could do it yourself - http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

Local guy that did my clutch job just used that stuff and here's what came out:

[​IMG]

8. OCS

OCS New Member

Thanks for the link!
    As far as not having enough HP, its nothing for the Mazda.

9. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Huh. I wasn't aware that there was a power threshold needed for ceramic coating a turbo manifold or headers. Is it similar to or higher than the amount of power you need to make to warrant tuning your ECU or a port-n-polish on your head(s)?

10. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Factor in the cost and most wouldn't go that route. All I was getting at.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong - most people don't stress their motor long enough at extended periods of high rpm/high heat to warrant wanting/needing ceramic coating.

11. OCS

OCS New Member

My headers are in a very tight location.. near control arm bushings, brake lines, etc...any sort of heat barrier is a must for me.
    Even with the stock exhaust manifolds, the cap on my grease zirks(for said bushings) melted.
    I didn't mean to come off as argumentative. Hopefully you didn't take it that way.

12. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Nah, I was just giving JohnnyT some shit :)

I've never thought ceramic coating to be all that expensive honestly... SwainTech charges ~$100 for a turbine housing and ~$200 for a manifold, and they are probably on the high end. For turbo applications, that heat barrier not only keeps heat out of your engine bay, but just as importantly it keeps it IN your exhaust stream so it can be utilized in the turbo.

I suppose with NA it's a different story, but keeping the heat down is always a good thing. Plus it keeps your manifold/header looking pretty :)

Sorry, didn't mean to throw your thread off-topic there... but SwainTech is the one name I always hear when it comes to ceramic coating; though they are not local and their real specialty is more internal parts.

13. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Yeah I was more referring to Jay. What car is this going on? Any exhaust near the control arm sounds super low and oddly placed so now I'm curious. Not to mention, you said headers...so V6?

Huh, that's actually pretty reasonable. I thought I remember when I was looking a few years ago it was much more costly than that.

14. OCS

OCS New Member

I have a 79 el Camino with a 406sbc. The headers have 1⅝ primarys and 3½ collectors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]