Gen 1 Mazdaspeed 3 Strut/Bracer Bars

Discussion in 'Performance Tech & Modifications' started by MPS_Mike, May 21, 2013.

1. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

So I recently just got H&R Coilover system working on finding time to put those in should be in by next wed, and I also have purchased the Hotchkis front and rear sways. I have alredy put in the rear sway, just waiting for a good time to tackle the front sway bar job. My buddy was asking me why I havnt done the front and rear strut tower bars / bracers. I looked to find them for gen 1 speeds and I can't really find anything. Have any of you done this upgrade, does anyone recommend doing it, do you know where I could find this part.

2. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

The design of a top mount IC kinda kills it for the front, And the rears, there's really not a lof of access to do one as the entire rear suspension is external (not popping into the cabin area or trunk area). Truthfully, there's NOT a whole lot of gain to be had up top in something like that. You're better off with some chassis bracing.

3. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

So here is my second question two days ago I did my Hotchkiss rear sway bar. When I was finshed everything was tight... After driving All day yesterday I was getting a lot of creeks and groans like metal on metal. I looked at the sway bars, and I remebered from trying to get the sway bar on the tightest setting I had to drop the sway bar end links. When trying to tighten the links there is a part of the link that keeps spinning as I try to tighten the bolt back down so I'm not getting any tighter am I doing something wrong? Do I need new end links? Is there a tool I need to get it tight?
    Thanks

4. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

5. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Short answer, get new endlinks. the factory Mazda ones are junk. The bolts and nuts on the factory ones are good for one use, at BEST.

6. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

No. It is possible they can get loose after a while if not tightened down after getting it from the factory (happened to me, had to replace one), but they are fine after that. I've had them apart probably a dozen times without any issue.

It sounds like the part you are missing is the fact that there is a hole in the end of the bolt for a 5mm hex key. You'll need to use a wrench instead of a socket.
    Put the 5mm key in the hole and use that to keep the bolt from turning while you tighten down the nut with a wrench. The 4th post in the thread you linked mentions this as well.
    You can sort of see it in this pic from my CO install thread (the sway bar is hanging down from the bushings, endlinks are pointing towards the camera):

[​IMG]

7. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

Thanks for your guys help. mndsm did you replace you end links with oem or the only AM ones i can find are Corksport everyone says they are to long to use the stiffest setting on the hotchkis sway bar. Thanks workdawg im going to take a look at that after work the only thing i was confused about on that post is cause that was for the actuall link to the sway bar where mine is not tight where it connects to the top so i hope its the same thing with the hex key. i also have to loosen all the bolt and torque them cause i did a newb move and just super tightend um... 0.o

8. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

9. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

10. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

11. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

If you look closely at the pic, you'll see that the part that's visible is actually the end of the endlink that attaches to the car... but in any case, it's the same on both ends.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

I haven't as of yet. you have to remember, the Hotchkis bar is as big as humanly possible back there. Car was never designed to have something THAT huge. It's going to clunk a little. Mine's done it since day one, no fucks given. I didn't buy a Camry, after all.

13. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

It could be that it clunks back there because the endlinks are poorly designed, not because of the sway bar being "too big". I can't really think of a good reason for them to clunk around if they were made properly.

14. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

Got it all good and torqued last night. noise went down ten fold. im just gonna keep checking them over the next couple weeks make sure they dont loosen up. Thanks for the help guys!

15. WhiteSpy9

WhiteSpy9 Guest

I like the mod list there, you should post up some pictures.

16. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

Blue loctite is recommended on the endlinks, but I haven't used it the last few times I've had mine on and off. I just tighten it down pretty hard and it's been fine.

17. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

This is a crappy picture i have to get better ones!!

View attachment 1633

18. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Hey sweet, you got the wheels on it. How are they fitting?

19. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member

The wheels are sweet i have to drive all nice to take care of them. They are fitting well so far I am still sitting on the top of my coils. I could drop a whole more. So we will see how im fitting when I drop a bit more. Still need to get an alignment. Im gonna have Stellar do it. I ordered a new set of camber arms cause the other ones i had were seized. :( Also I have to put on Tri point swaybar links. So still got a bunch of work before its perfect..

20. MPS_Mike

MPS_Mike New Member