Itasca State Park Cabin/Clubhouse Trip - Sunday September 8th 2013

Discussion in 'General Events - Finalized & Planned' started by Picklz, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

Itasca Cabin Trip 2013
    Itasca State Park - Park Rapids MN
    Sunday September 8th 2013

[​IMG]

After a 4 year break from this amazing trip, we're going to make the journey up to beautiful Itasca state park again for an amazing overnight stay. For those that did not make the first trip (back in 2008) - Itasca state park has a wonderful old turn of the century (I think) log cabin/clubhouse, this thing is huge, the whole center of the place is a wide open great room, two stories tall w/ a balcony all the way around the interior. Then it is lined with 10 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms around the perimeter.

There are no cooking facilities in the cabin so coolers are a must for beverage cooling - there is campfire area where we can cook food if we wish, or there are a few delicious restaurants within a 30 minute drive if people so choose. Technically alcohol is not allowed in state parks - however last time I think a number of people had a SOLID buzz going within an hour or two of arrival, so, while not required, drinking is most certainly an option - just no kegs and we'll try and keep things semi-relaxed and under control lol

Sleeping Arrangements
    Bedrooms have varying configurations of Double and Single Beds - a total of 7 doubles and 7 singles between the 10 rooms. SOME people may have to share a room depending on how many people go. Couples will have first dibs on Double beds, and bed/bedroom selection will be offered in the order you put a deposit down.

Cost and Deposits
    The total cost for the cabin is $500 with Tax. This will be divided evenly between the total number of people that go. So if we get 10 people it'll be $50 or so per person, but this place can sleep up to 21! So the more people that sign up the cheaper this gets.

Deposits will be required - I'm asking for a $20 per person non-refundable deposit to get on the list, this can be paid via cash in person, mailing me a check, or via a paypal 'friend/gift' transfer (no fee transfer). If you have to bow out and you find someone else to take your spot they can certainly pay you back your deposit, they will, however, be bumped to the bottom of the list as far as selecting bed/bedrooms.

Paypal can be sent to mklukas(at)gmail(dot)com - just include a note of what it's for and the names of all those you are paying for. If you need to mail me something PM me for my address.

Final payment will be due sometime the week of or once we get up there - once we know how many people we have going and what the total will be per person.

I will be reserving the cabin after I have at least 8 deposits - if for some reason our date gets taken between now and then we can discuss a different date or deposits will be refunded.

Attractions:
    Last time, from what I can remember we all went hiking around Lake Itasca for a while, then went up to the headwaters of the Mississippi and walked across it (it's tiny up there!) There's plenty of other things to see/do as people see fit - boat/kayak/canoe rentals, mountain bike rentals, hiking trails, etc. Last time we spent a good deal of the time just hanging around the campfire and lake (just a few hundred feet from the cabin) just hanging out, BSing, and relaxing.

Camping
    The state park has a great variety of campsites available as well - some have expressed interest in going up Friday or Saturday and camping a night or two and then hanging out at the cabin Sunday night - this is of course a great option so feel free to hash plans to do so as a group in this thread - as we get closer Kelsey and I may explore doing this.

Pets
    Since it was asked - pets are NOT allowed in the cabins - if you wanted to camp you could bring your dog/cat/whatever but you cannot stay at the cabin with them.

Attendees:

Double Beds
    1) Matt & Kelsey (Paid - $40)
    2) Josh & Shelly (Paid - $40)
    3) AJ & Jana (Paid - $40)
    4) Jay & Nanami (Paid - $40)
    5) Corey & Tauni (Paid - $40)
    6)
    7)

Single Beds:
    1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)

This is growing very near! Time to start planning some of the specifics!

A few of us are going up Saturday morning Sometime to camp one night first, then we will move over into the cabin on Sunday. Anyone who wishes to join in on the camping please let me know ASAP, I think we're going to rent sites w/ electric due to availability - there are also showers and toilets nearby.

Changed / Updated -
    We are booking camping sites in the Pine Ridge Campground - Electric Drive In Sites - Maple Loop

Picklz has 200e
    Tauni has 201e
    Jay has 202e

198e, 199e, 203e, and 204e are all available as of right now. The cost is $35 for the one night.
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/state_parks/spk00181_camp.pdf

Cost is around $35 per site for the night (higher price because of electric). I would like to propose waiting till Wednesday then start booking sites, each person can book their own for this I don't want to book them all.

In for camping:
    Matt
    Tauni
    Jay
    AJ
    Josh

Any others?

For those coming up Sunday - keep in mind Guaranteed checkin for the cabin is not until 4pm, we likely will get in earlier but it's not a 100% thing. You can always come up early though and park somewhere in the park and hang out / go sight seeing, etc. If those coming up Sunday want to form up a caravan feel free to start organizing that here.

For those going up Saturday morning I'm thinking of leaving around 9am or so at this point, probably all meet up on hwy 10 somewhere, will get that nailed down as we get closer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

Check your paypal, I just send the fundage!

3. 007CobaltLS

007CobaltLS Member

It's so cheap, I'll just plan on getting you a deposit and I'll worry about it later if I can't make it for some reason. No plus one for me.

4. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

AH! Amazing. That trip was such a blast. I will definitely see what Corey thinks about doing it again!

5. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

paypal sent.

6. Picklz

Got ya down Josh and AJ, word to that Mike, and Tauni I hope you guys can make it, it really was an awesome time last time!

7. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

Me too! Hopefully I can hold my bladder a little better on the way up there this time haha!

8. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Can we plan on no car accidents in the first 30 min this time?

9. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

Matt when you get a chance send me your address so I can mail you a check. Corey and I are in for sure but I don't have PayPal.

10. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Late to the game here, but payment sent for Nanami and I!

11. Picklz

Sweet - I'll probably see if I can lock the cabin in this week or next now that we've got a number of deposits!

12. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

Just to clarify, we would be leaving on Sunday and coming back on Monday? Or leaving Saturday and coming back on Sunday?

13. Picklz

The cabin stay would be Sunday night, coming back on Monday. Some people may go up friday or saturday to camp a night or two first, but the cabin will be reserved for Sunday night.

14. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

Ok, let me double check with Corey and see if that will work for him. I'll let you know and get back to you!

15. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. As of right now, I think we are on the fence about staying in the cabin. We may just camp on Saturday night with whoever is going to be doing that and then participate in any exploring on Sunday and then head home.

16. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Someone needs to e-mail blast this shit out to the members via e-mail. Include the cruise and other events up coming as well.

17. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

^this. Also im out. Just not sire about the school and work schedule working out.

18. Picklz

Lamesauce

19. Tauni

Tauni I'm confused.

I thought you and Kelsey were camping?! I'm just not sure about taking that Monday off. I am already taking some days off to go to Dallas and I would like to conserve as many days as possible haha.

20. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

Any updates Picklz? Does Tom need to blast an email?