• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

questions on storing a car over winter

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
so i have most of the basics down, anything else i should do thats not listed?

1. Wash and wax(hopefully) before storing
2. oil change
3. swapping old/crappy wheels/tires back on
4. new(er) gas with a stabilizer
5. crack open windows(will be in garage)
6. block tailpipes(from animals)
7. some sort of moisture wicking stuff inside the car (ideas?)
8. run the car every so often

dmention7

Hater
Mothballs in the engine bay is one of the things I've heard to prevent critters from making a nest in your airbox and/or ductwork.

I don't see any point in putting any kind of dessicant inside the car if you're going to leave the windows open. Winter air is dry enough that moisture will be the last of your worries.

Also, even if you're putting crappy tires on, I'd move the car a couple feet every two weeks or so to keep the tires from getting flat spots. A spin around the block on nice days is even better. A trickle charger on the battery would also be a good idea if you don't want to disconnect it.

FunK73

just pump the tires up to like 50 PSI, so dont have to move it. I'd suggest a trickle charger as well rather than starting the car. It should be fine, the car is only going to be sitting for like 3-4 months realistically. Also you should put talc powder on the door seals. Oh and also you can park it on a tarp to prevent moisture from coming up from the floor (unless its sealed) and rusting out your underside. Also put something under your wiper blades so the rubber doesn't stick to the windshield. Leave it in gear, do NOT use the parking brake. And you can spray some oil in your cylinders too if youre comfortable doing that to prevent rust, but its not entirely necessary

Last edited:

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
thanks jon, i forgot about not using the parking brake.

is keeping it in gear really necessary if the wheels are going to be chocked and what does the talc on the seals do?

D

DrWebster

what does the talc on the seals do?
Prevents them from sticking.

Here's the deal though, what are the conditions under which you're storing the car? Are you just parking it in the garage for the winter while you drive a beater, or are you going to be leaving it entirely unattended in some storage facility with nobody checking on it? If it's just gonna be in the garage, you don't need to to 90% of what's been suggested -- start it up at least once a week and on nice, clear days take it for a 15-minute drive down the freeway. Open and close the doors and trunk every once in a while and the seals won't stick. Don't overinflate the tires as 50psi may be out of the max pressure range for them -- 40psi should be safe. If you're not going to be touching the car at all this winter, just put it up on jackstands, since that way you won't have to worry about the tranny in gear/in netural, parking brake on/off, or the tires flatspotting.

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
it seems silly, but i don't feel comfortable leaving my car on stands. knowing my siblings, something WOULD happen. and i was banking on 'storage' insurance, so a freeway run/around the block probably isn't the best thing to do.

dmention7

Hater
Drive on the freeway, maybe not. Run around the block, NBD.

Also, there is no good reason not to leave it in gear, even if it is on chocks. The transmission couldn't give two hoots whether it's in neutral or R or 5th, and that way you know it's not going anywhere.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Don't leave it on stands... if you're worried about flat spotting, get either dollies, or get stands that bolt right to the hubs, and compress the suspension- because at full droop it can take suspension out of its comfortable range, and left there over time, it can cause bad things on shock seals and whatnot. But if it's in the garage, do what Colin says. I did that with the ms3, and will again, and I have no problems.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Wheel dollies are the exact same shape as those, and can be found on CL for 100$ or less without much effort....

JohnnyT

There's so many 'right or wrong' ways to do this, and all these myths with them too. I just did this for the very first time this weekend with the 'Vette and I read up on a few things that make sense to me. All I did was: wash/spray wax, thoroughly clean interior, sta-bil, remove battery (I have a battery tender), put rags in exhaust, wheel chocks, covered wheels with tire bags, cover for car. I don't have a rodent problem, but I may get some ultrasonic repellers. I've heard the odor with mothballs is awful come spring. You could also just get a couple traps and sprinkle them around the car.

If you're putting sta-bil in the car, I see absolutely no reason to run the car every couple weeks. I also wouldn't want my car on jackstands - wheel dollies if anything. Here's a quote of one of the better articles I read:

There are several common myths associated with car storage that need to be addressed.

The first is that it is somehow a good thing to start the car every week or so, then either let it idle for a while or go for a drive around the block. This is in fact one of the worst things you can possibly do to an engine. The main reason is that unless the engine reaches full operating temperature, moisture (a natural byproduct of combustion and temperature changes) and acids (combustion byproducts) will build up inside the engine and contaminate the oil and metal surfaces. Obviously this is not good for metal components and results in increased wear and shorter life. This effect is easily seen by looking inside the oil filler tube of any rotary that was used primarily for short trips as there will be a clearly visible rust scale that has formed. During normal driving the engine generally heats up enough to vaporize these nasties which are then drawn off by the purge system and burned by the engine.

The second myth is that a car should be stored on jackstands to keep the weight off the suspension. The theory is that keeping weight off of the suspension will somehow preserve it's full motion. In fact, removing the weight of the car will pull the suspension out of it's normal resting place and put it in an unnatural state of hyper extension. Keeping it this way over the long term will cause bushings and joints to bind up and the end result may be corrosion building up in the area of normal suspension travel where don't want it instead of the unused areas where it basically doesn't matter.
Link: http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/storage.htm

The cracking windows and moisture thing are new to me as well. Something I may look into...

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
I've decided I'm just leaving the car as is, will start it up to run every now and then, and take it for a drive on some of the nicer days.

Considering I can probably put some miles on it just by doing 3 point turns inside BAG, I'm not going to spend any $ prepping a 10 year old car worth maybe 10k for winter storage.

Gotta say JT, saw a pic of the vette tucked away, nice setup!

JohnnyT

I've decided I'm just leaving the car as is, will start it up to run every now and then, and take it for a drive on some of the nicer days.

Considering I can probably put some miles on it just by doing 3 point turns inside BAG, I'm not going to spend any $ prepping a 10 year old car worth maybe 10k for winter storage.

Gotta say JT, saw a pic of the vette tucked away, nice setup!
I'd say it's fine to run it, as long as you get up to operating/normal temp for a few miles. It just seems pointless and damaging to put sta-bil in a car and start it up every couple weeks (obviously you're not doing that, but for those that are...).

It was sad to wash it and store it considering the nice weather we've had lately. I just know this weather won't last long and I wanted to make sure I did it right the first time.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
I'm driving the Miata today, and every day until there is chance for snow. I'll do my best to keep it clean, rust free, and away from any salt... but the fact remains that I want to race this car over the next few years. Auto Cross, Road Racing, and possibly some wheel to wheel ice racing in years to come.... I don't need to keep it all perfecto with those plans.