Tuning for better mpg?

Discussion in 'Performance Tech & Modifications' started by million, Jul 25, 2013.

1. million

million Member

In the MPG thread, I read that a member tuned his MS3 for better gas mileage. I only have a Mz3 2.5 and the only mod on my car is a CAI, but would I be able to tune my car to be more efficient? If so, who should I go to and what would it cost?

Thanks!

2. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

When I was using the AP to tune my Ms3, I read quite a bit about people who were turning the AFR way up to run lean for good gas mileage, but that's on an FI engine.

Is there even a tuning option out there for the regular Mz3?

3. million

million Member

That is what I am curious about. I have no idea so I figured I'd see what other people would say. :)

4. million

million Member

Due to the lack of responses, I assume one of the following...

1. The engine I have is not able to be tuned
    2. No one actually knows the answer

or

3. Nobody gives a damn. ;)

5. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

To my knowledge the only tuning people have done on the non-turbo 3's is with a full standalone. You could in theory adjust cruising AFRs by using a device that can adjust both the MAFS and O2 sensor signals. My guess is the car already does a pretty good job of running at stoich during cruising, though there might be some improvements to be had during light throttle city driving.

6. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Option #2. NA motors confuse me. Add a turbo and I might be able to help.

7. Wildfyre116

Wildfyre116 New Member

Same. I'm pretty sure there's no Cobb AP for an NA MZ3, and if there are any tuners for them, we'd have equal luck trying our hands at google.

8. million

million Member

That would be fun to do but I have heard that adding a turbo to the 2.5 isn't that easy... and it's pretty expensive. I may consider playing with it once my factory warranty lapses though. LOL

9. million

million Member

Found this online... pretty much covers the question I asked. Information from: http://www.mrtperformance.com.au

(http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/performance/engine/1287-Mazda-3-SP25-engine-performance-guide)

Power upgrade guide for
    Mazda 3 SP25 non turbo petrol engines

We get many calls for upgrades on this model, as a guide to assist you we have created this list to save your time, guarantee your money is invested correctly and most of all give you maximum value!.

SUMMARY
    There are some great features of this car, 2500 cc torquey engine and most of all, a sensible budget with some well planned upgrades and it turns a great car into a much better car!

ECU
    (All Australian and Japanese models)
    Can NOT be converted and tuned, using any ECU software that will deleiver ANY reliable power

ENGINE WEAKNESS's
    Not any to note

ENGINE SENSORS
    On this model the aif flow meter sensor is very reliable
    Depending on model, Jap spec or Oz the twin rear exhaust O2 sensors if located incorectly related to modified exhaust can cause problems, if old can also dull the cruise performance of the car and increase fuel use.
    Crank, cam and Knock sensors are reliable, but with age can fail.

INTERCEPTOR ECU OPTION
    Not worth considering as the intercptors simply do not have enough options to tune and modify the latest technoplogy control inputs.
    ZERO VALUE

NEW (replacement) ECU
    Too costly.
    See notes above

INJECTORS
    Bigger injectors empty your wallet and add no power unless part of a E85 fuel retune or major engine rebuild.
    Save your $$ for suspension and get some GOOD improvements.
    OEM Injectors are big enough unless you do a major engine rebuild.

FUEL PUMP
    More than adequate.

EXHAUST
    (Some traps for people here, unless carefully chosen.)
    Some small gains to be made here with a good complete engine back exhaust
    The rear muffler and centre pipe adds no value in just replacing it and should be left stock std to save $$.

AIR INTAKE
    Other than a intake noise no power here, unless you have or plan a huge engine upgrade.
    A replacement panel filter in the std airbox will save on future servicing but give no power improvement.

ENGINE ANCILLIARIES
    Items such as aftermarket plug leads, high capacity discharge ignition systems etc all will ad very marginal if any improvement.

OTHER OPTIONS
    Is the car serviced correctly? Because often a service by a workshop who really knows Mazda's will be your best choice for first place for power and reliability.

IE:

Upper engine cleaner and in tank fuel additive. (when was this last done, as often the Jap import cars have huge carbon build up).
    Good quality low friction engine oil such as Mobil 5 w 30 will give around 5 kw and better fuel economy over a non synthetic oil.
    Fuel system service, MRT offer this and often get good results, cleans the EGR "gunk" out of the intake and combustion area.
    Also injectors as well as inlet manf and exhaust as well as fuel pump, lines and sensors.
    Synthetic gearbox, transfer case and diff oil, again like engine oil this adds up in benefits.
    Timing belt, fuel filter are again areas that should be checked and renewed.
    SUSPENSION
    Check out the performance / suspension section for REAL gains and benefits.
    If I owned this car, I would investall of my budget in brakes and suspension as this is guaranteed BEST VALUE!
    more here http://mrtperformance.com.au/performance/suspension

FREE CHECK
    Refer the MRT vehicle service section here and take advantage of our free 78 point check to ensure your car is in top shape!

PRIORITY LIST

Check service history.
    Check the O2 sensor
    Check brakes
    New brake pads and discs if needed
    Front and rear sway bars.
    Complete (quality) exhaust.
    Front and rear sway bar links