• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Winter tires... what is everyone running???

General Altimax Arctics hands down. Not only are they one of the most inexpensive snow tires on the market, they are one of the best performing snow tires that I have used. We run them on our personal vehicles, and they are also the #1 snow tire we recommend to our customers. You can spend a lot more money on other snow tires, but i love my Generals and would get them again.

million

New winter wheels on the Mz3. Blizzak WS70s on 5-spoke alloys. Thanks Shawn! I think I like the look of them better than my stock wheels. :)

(probably should have washed the car first, oh well)

Attachments

Last edited:

niterydr

Legendary Status!
The General's are OK, but not that great on ice. I preferred the Hankook Winter iPike's more, but the General's do all right for the cost difference. You do get what you pay for with that type of tire for sure.
Ice is ice, short of a dedicated studded tire or chains the difference is marginal. Driving in snow is more common that driving on ice in most cases that my wife would encounter. Any dedicated snow tire will crush an all season.

Ice is ice, short of a dedicated studded tire or chains the difference is marginal. Driving in snow is more common that driving on ice in most cases that my wife would encounter. Any dedicated snow tire will crush an all season.
I'm sorry, but what was the point in your response to me?

Last edited:

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
The point was that there is no such think as a good "ice" tire. Unless its a studded rally tire you jackass Lol. It doesn't matter if you are running rs3s or blizzacks. If you it actual ice there is going to be very little differential in the performance they have on ice. That's why they are called snow tires and not ice tires.

That's funny...I've noticed better stopping and traction for acceleration on different winter tires than others. So that 2 inches of stopping distance or that extra little grip so that I can accelerate a little to keep someone from slamming into me doesn't matter?

That's funny because it's helped me out in the past.

Significant difference, no, you're right. But there is a difference...just like any other tires...compare two summer tires, compare two all seasons...there are differences that can make a difference...

Sure, maybe I'm a jackass, but these tires aren't as good as my Hankook's were. The Hankook's were cheaper at the time as well....I paid $400 for this set of tires. When I bought the Hankook's, I got a set of steel wheels and the tires for $291, mounted, balanced, and shipped to my door.

Drive around today....you remember the rain yesterday? The higher temps? Guess what...that creates ice. Guess what...I was driving around today and had to deal with that.

Oh, and my final comment...I am SHOCKED to know a winter tire is better than an all season. Is a summer tire better in the summer than all season as well? ...

niterydr

Legendary Status!
News update:
Wife's car on glare ice with the General Articmax tires...we lived and drove on the ice.

cool story bro.

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
That's funny...I've noticed better stopping and traction for acceleration on different winter tires than others. So that 2 inches of stopping distance or that extra little grip so that I can accelerate a little to keep someone from slamming into me doesn't matter?

That's funny because it's helped me out in the past.

Significant difference, no, you're right. But there is a difference...just like any other tires...compare two summer tires, compare two all seasons...there are differences that can make a difference...

Sure, maybe I'm a jackass, but these tires aren't as good as my Hankook's were. The Hankook's were cheaper at the time as well....I paid $400 for this set of tires. When I bought the Hankook's, I got a set of steel wheels and the tires for $291, mounted, balanced, and shipped to my door.

Drive around today....you remember the rain yesterday? The higher temps? Guess what...that creates ice. Guess what...I was driving around today and had to deal with that.

Oh, and my final comment...I am SHOCKED to know a winter tire is better than an all season. Is a summer tire better in the summer than all season as well? ...
I like my conti DWS (all seasons) better than my previous Kuhmo SPT (summers) in almost every regard.

Foreverzero89

i, unfortunately, could only buy two winter tires at a time due to money constraints so i'm running two different tires as a result. in the rear i have hankook ipikes and the front im' running the blizzak ws60. i like the blizzak much better, wish i could have gotten them for the rear too.

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
I haven't run snow tires since getting my 3 (LOVED the Blizzaks on my Subaru though!!), however I've had a set of Continental Pure Contacts on my car for a year or so and they ROCK in the snow! I absolutely love these tires year round. They're an excellent tire that I'll definitely buy again with no hesitation, although it'll be awhile, because they have a 6 year/70,000 mile warranty.

million

This year, my Blizzak WS70s have been great. Picked them up last year, used, mounted to some 5 spoke alloys, 1000k miles on them. I've been happy with their performance.

Wildfyre116

This year, my Blizzak WS70s have been great. Picked them up last year, used, mounted to some 5 spoke alloys, 1000k miles on them. I've been happy with their performance.
Same. Bought some WS70s new for some 16" steelies on my MS3 and they're rock-solid. Haven't gotten even close to being stuck in any weather this winter.