• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

dust/grease

ij1889

so i decided tonight to clean up under the hood of my car, i was out from 9:30 pm to 2:20am cleaning it, its been sitting collecting dust/grease for alomost 30 years, i did mostly the walls and alot other stuff but i did not do most of the engine because of all the shit on top of it and could not get my hand to fit, any one recomend anything for those hard to reach places, and also a good degreaser?

here are a few pics before and after

before

after

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
When it come to degreaser it is very difficult to find one that will not damage your plastic bits. I would just use dawn dish wash for it. Then go to the self carwash and use the gun to spray wax the motor and fire wall. One thing to watch out for are all those plugs I see on top of the motor. The car is old and the water seal in the plug may leak. I would only use low pressure and never spray those plugs or anything else that looks like that. When it come to your motor you can clean it up or you can damage the hell out of it. Also a toilet brush works great for those hard to read places.

ij1889

yeah, there is alot of plugs and electical wiring running through there, so spraying it did come to mind but after realizing all of that stuff that idae went away very quickly, i did use dish soap for cleaning the blue plugs, it was a cheap brand so it didnt work as well as the more intense stuff, but i also used baby wipes for the wall area, and just a water and towel fof the radiator and stuff like that, but i was thinking the only way im gonna make the engine look completely clean is by taking it out and taking everything apart from the top, maybe someday when i own my own house, so i think ill just keep it how it is for now

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
I've heard a lot of people in detailing forums recommend wrapping aluminum foil around any plugs and wiring you don't want to effect when you're using a pressure washer. I haven't needed to go to town on mine yet, so I can't speak from experience there though.

J

JustROLLIN

Bah. Back in school we just used some Simple Green and a pressure washer. We sprayed all the electronics as well. As long as you dont sit there and soak everything down, you should be ok.

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
The regular Simple Green does a good job and there's a newer product made by them that's supposed to be just as effective while being a lot more gentle on other surfaces it touches (like paint)

J

JustROLLIN

The regular Simple Green does a good job and there's a newer product made by them that's supposed to be just as effective while being a lot more gentle on other surfaces it touches (like paint)

Beautiful! Ivan that would prolly be a little better for the older rubber and plastics under the hood of Rexy.