• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Fuel economy in your Mazda (or other car if you don't have a Mazda)?

I was wondering what kind of gas mileage you all get?

Tell me what kind of car you have and your driving conditions. The reason I'm wondering is for when I do get around to buying my next car, I'm curious what kind of economy different cars get.

Interested for sure in knowing what the MS3 and MS6 get along with anything else...regular 3 as well.

My Cobalt is driven probably 30% city and 70% highway right now and I am averaging about 31MPG with an auto. Before we went on the cruise, I was averaging 26 because of the way I drove the car, now since the cruise (which I bought a radar detector for) I have been taking it a lot easier. I don't know if it's because I don't want to rely on the radar so I just drive slower or what, but it definitely is helping me in the long run. I'm getting an extra 2-3 days of driving out of my car which is great.

So when I get my next car, I am hoping to get something with a manual and that is able to get the same mileage or better when I'm not on it.

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
04 mazda 6 v6 mtx. average 350 miles/tank at an average 15 galllon fillup works out to 23 MPG. Probably 80-90% highway, lasts me a week.

SLyness18

with my speed 6 i get right around 24-25 mpg regularly, and thats not being nice to it. if im really nice and on a longer road trip which is mostly interstate driving ive gotten up to 28 mpg. Which isnt too bad considering awd and 300+ horse coming outta that lil 4 banger.

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
I drive an 2008 NA GT Mz3 and I do about 95% city driving and I get around 20mpg or so, but I'm always on it with stop-n-go traffic. On trips to Duluth I'll average closer to 26mpg or so.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
I've seen 30ish out of my ms3 on the highway, when I actually commuted to work. I don't do that so much anymore, now it's 95% driving for fun/in anger, so it's dropped to 24-25.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
I usually get about 26 highway and I have know idea on city because I usually drive pretty agressively lol.

Bottom line... get a miata. 30+ mpg plain and simple.

Like I've said before, I would love one, but I am in no place to get a car at the moment. I'm always dreaming and researching though.

The only down side to the Miata is it isn't practical for my son and I...I wouldn't put him in the passenger seat. That's why I'm leaning towards the MS3/MS6 or possibly a Mazda2 if I start reading up on them. Number one factor is my son in the back, number 2 is cost to own car, number three is fuel economy. I've seen a lot of fun parts so far for the 2 so I want to look into that more. Then again, I want to see what happens when Chevy releases the Spark...although I have lost a lot of faith in GM since they canned Pontiac and Saturn.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
If you wanna check out cheap, fun, and chevy, wait for the Sonic RS. I've been following that one fairly closely, and if it's half of what it looks to be, it should be a lot of fun.

I was kind of impressed with the Cruize...not as impressed as I was hoping...I thought about the Sonic...I mean 1.4T with less weight than the Cruize, awesome! But at the same time, I kind of want smaller yet...the Sonic and Cruize unfortunately are more spendy than I was hoping, but at the same time, I will probably buy a year or two old (or older) next time around versus like I did with the Cobalt. Bought it in June of 07 with 12k miles on it for about $12.5k...of course I would get a WHOLE lot more with the Sonic than I did with my car...the only option on mine is auto...didn't have power anything, no cruise, bare bones car except for auto. And of course at the time I didn't drive a stick so I didn't even consider one. Now I will.

I like the price point of the Spark though for a new one and that goes for the Mazda2 as well. I would love to look into something Audi, but I know I can't buy it too used otherwise I'll run into lots of repair and I want to keep it simple enough that I can do all the repairs if there are repairs...my car has not needed anything in 75k miles with the exception of ball joints and now wheel bearings, but I'm sure that's due to my driving habits and the aftermarket items I've put on the car.

We will see when the time comes. With my luck that time won't come for at least 3-5 years. Which really isn't a bad thing because when I bought my Cobalt I said I would keep it for 10 years. It's been 5 which is the longest I've owned anything. Of course after I started modding, things started falling apart. The part-time job at Domino's didn't help at all....suspension destroyed...thank you Blaine and Coon Rapids roads!

Workdawg

NARWHAL
My old mz3 got around 30mpg all the time, the MS3 gets around 24. On an all-highway trip I get closer to 26.

Both manuals.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
No, not in the least. Loosing 10mpg > Living with a 22+ year old econobox

:trollface:

I usually get 23ish in the MS6, maybe a couple extra if I'm on an all highway trip. Driving it like I stole it most of the time.

The good news is that if I were to get an MS6, my mileage wouldn't be too much less than now which I could probably live with. When I beat my car all day it gets 26 to 27 tops so I could deal with a few MPG less, but if I were able to take it easy, I'm sure I could see almost 28 out of an MS6 then.

Oh how I wish I had money. I'll start saving more money. Then I will take $3-5 a week and "invest" in the lottery...lol.

million

2011 Mz3 GT (2.5 6MT) ... lately with a roof rack and a bike on it at times, I have been getting 28mpg- mix of highway and city. If I take the rack off, I average the low 30s on my daily driving.

Last big trip- Bismarck, ND... 75- 85mph most of the way with a 30mph headwind and no roof rack... averaged 32mpg. I was impressed with that.